Saturday 1 April 2017

Pandurang -- has had you eating out of his hands for 45 years -- By Nisser Dias


Pandurang Atamaram Gawas is an unassuming man but he has seen the transformation of commercial city of Goa – Margao like no other just by standing with his bhelpuri handcart in front of the State Bank of India for 45 long years.

“State Bank of India was originally a residence given out on rent for the bank to start its services, but now what you see is different” he says.

Pandurang a native of Dodamarg – a bordering district of Maharastra crossed over to Goa when he was just 12 years old in the year 1967. Today he is 68 and for the last 45 years he has had Goans eating bhelpuri, shevpuri, pani-puri, ragdda pattis and pav bhaji out of his hands. Pandurang goes on to narrate his long journey from then to now. When he strayed into Goa he got employment at Mahadev Ashram eatery ‘khanavoll’ near Mandovi hotel.

After working there for four months he along with couple of other workers were lured by a businessman with higher salary and brought to Margao to work at Penguin hotel and ice cream parlour. Pandurang recollects at that time somewhere in 1967, nowhere in Goa could you find ice cream that could be cut and served like slices. His employer had already brought in people from Bombay to teach his workers how to prepare such ice cream. To his bad luck the employees formed an Union within two months of joining work in Margao. Immediately the owner sacked them from service. “It did not end there, the owner made sure we did get employment anywhere in the city, the moment we were engaged as waiters, the previous owner would send a word to the new employer that they would ruin his business by forming an union and we were sacked outright and since there were only a few hotels it was easy to keep tabs on us”.

He went to reminisce that for two years I worked on daily wages whenever work was available for mere Rs. 2 or sometimes Rs. 3. Other days when there was no work I use to eat at the house of my friends. Those days he recollects that nobody would refuse food.

Pandurang says that he used to sleep in a carpentry shop at Pedda, Margao. In 1971 the owner of the carpentry shop seeing him struggling to get work on daily basis built a hand-cart for him and told him to start bhel-puri.

Since then there was no looking back for Pandurang, “which ever theatre in Margao running a good movie, I used to be outside with my handcart selling bhel, shev, pani puri and after that come and park at the Municipal garden”. On Sunday, it was time to go to Colva at 3.00pm and come back to Margao at 7.00pm”.

“During those days I used to charge 10 paise for a plate of bhel, shev or pani puri and make Rs. 30 a month equivalent to the salary I used to get at the hotel”.

After some years, I asked to move from the side of Municipal garden to the present place as the authorities started doing the pavement on the periphery of it. And since then he is stationed at the same spot, “I bring my cart at 4.00pm and wind up by 9.00”. He goes on to add that from 10 paise today the price has gone up to Rs. 25 per plate of his savouries. “Some of my customers from 1971 not only patronize even their grand children do”.

Nisser Dias
Datta Gaundalkar on who grew up eating this evening delicacies, says, “my father used to bring us here 35 years ago and I continued to patronize it and I have introduced my children to it, I have stuck to Gawas because of good taste, I do not think the flavour or taste has changed since I started eating it”.

Retired teacher of the Fatima High School Nina Coutinho recollects that she was introduced to this stuff by her friend, “It is now 32 years that I have been eating Atamaram’s delicacies sometime even twice a week, he is like a family member to me”.

50 years old Sayyed Khalik says, “I first ate bhel from Gawas in 1980 as a 13 years old and till date of and on I relish his preparation. What is important is that he has managed to maintain the consistency of his taste for so many years”. “Besides Gawas too has remained the same man he  is – a man of few words but fast to laughter”.

Pandurang lost his wife Rukmini two years back and has two daughters and two sons who are employed at two establishments in Margao.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment